Is your little one not so little anymore? Are they getting ready to go behind the wheel and drive themselves to school? If your answer to both questions is yes, then you might find yourself a little nervous about the school year starting. The team at Carlsbad Auto Service is here to ease all your concerns. Here are some helpful tips for young drivers:
- This may go without saying but always follow all traffic laws. You may be late to school and want to hurry through that red light, but remind yourself, safety always comes first.
- Slow down! Speeding is the leading cause of fatal accidents for teen drivers.
- Put that seat belt on, and don’t take it off until your car is turned off. In fatal accidents, more than 56% were found not to have their seatbelts on.
- Avoid distractions. Out of sight, out of mind. We recommend putting your phone away, so you aren’t tempted to check that text message while driving.
- Adjust your accessories before driving away -- make sure your mirrors and seats are adjusted for you and your ease of access.
- Keep your distance from other vehicles on the road, as tailgating can lead to rear-end accidents. You can use the three-second rule -- pick an object on the street, wait until the vehicle passes the object, and count to three. If the vehicle reaches the object before you get to three, you are too close.
- Watch the weather. Rain, wind, or fog can make driving more dangerous and will require certain precautions, such as turning on your headlights or slowing down.
- Don’t be afraid not to get behind the wheel. If you have a lack of sleep or perhaps you are too distracted by that exam just around the corner, have your parents or a friend drive you.
- Take care of your vehicle. A vehicle is properly taken care will run safer and smoother and can help you avoid breakdowns and other accidents.
The team at Carlsbad Auto Service will make sure your vehicle is ready before the big day -- the first day of school. Safety is always our number one priority, so you can worry a little less when you see your young driver pulling out of the driveway. Schedule an appointment today. We look forward to seeing you at our shop, located at 3181 Tyler Street, Carlsbad, CA 92008.