It is extremely important to be sure your brakes are working properly since it is one of the most critical parts in your car. Regular brakes services not only is a good idea but will help ease your mind knowing that you will stop properly and safely every time. If you’re not sure whether or not you need your breaks serviced here are some things to pay attention to:
- When you try to stop your car do you continue to move slightly forward? You may need new linings on your breaks or a simple adjustment.
- Does your car slightly veer to one side of the road when driving forward? You may have a fluid leak or a stuck caliper.
- Does your brake pedal feel like its pulsating when your press it? Your brakes may be overheated.
- Do you feel shaking or vibration in your steering wheel while pressing the brake pedal? You may need your front discs machined or replaced.
- When you step on your brakes do you hear a squealing or squeaking noise? There’s quite a few reasons that could cause this – old or worn out linings, a drum or disc needs to be fixed, and much more.
- Do you hear a grinding noise while hitting the brakes? This could be caused because your linings are so worn it’s allowing a metal part to touch the disc. That can cause major damage to expensive mechanical parts. If you notice this stop driving and have your vehicle towed to an auto shop.
Does your vehicle bounce while you try to stop? Your shock absorbers may need to be replaced.
Even if you are not experiencing any of the above it is vital that you schedule an annual brake check to keep you and everyone else on the road safe!