We all know someone with an old, high-mileage vehicle that just keeps on running year after year—that crazy uncle in the high mileage ride that keeps going strong. What is his secret? The secret is that there is no real secret to getting a vehicle to last a long time. The difference is maintenance. Here are six car care tips that will help extend the life of your car.
- Keep an eye on your oil. Be sure to have the oil changed on a regular basis. No step will help your engine last longer than regular oil and filter changes. Conversely, nothing will destroy your engine faster than neglect in this area.
- Once a year remember to have your cooling system flushed and changed. It will help keep your cooling system in shape.
- Transmission and other oils may not need as much attention however it is important to follow the service intervals for these liquids.
- Keep it clean. This seems pretty obvious but most anything the car ran over can get stuck to the underside. Be sure to hose off and winter salt or anything else that can cause damage.
- Everything with moving parts needs to be properly lubricated to live a long full life.
- Applying a coat of wax every six months will ensure that your car will look good as well as run good.