We all know that your vehicle’s manufacturer has a recommended service schedule for preventative maintenance. At certain intervals, specific services are recommended, including oil changes, fluid level checks, and tire rotation, to name a few. It is easy to forget about these services, especially as life gets busy, and we think “Well, it’s probably fine.”
Unfortunately, it’s not probably fine, as many of these services are designed to prevent potentially expensive and dangerous auto repairs from happening. Here are the five most preventable auto repairs:
- Transmission replacement: Transmission fluid needs to be checked or replaced on a routine basis. If you don’t have your transmission fluid checked, you run the risk of needing a transmission replacement -- an expensive and time consuming repair.
- Blown head gasket: The head gasket can fail if your engine overheats. To avoid this repair, make sure to have a qualified technician check your coolant regularly and change it when needed and replace worn hoses and loose belts.
- Catalytic converter replacement: With proper maintenance, your catalytic converter can usually last as long as your vehicle does. However, overdue oil changes and spark plug replacement along with neglected cooling system services can shorten the life of your catalytic converter.
- Turbocharger replacement: This aspect of your engine increases the efficiency of your engine. To prevent a turbocharger replacement, make sure you are getting regular oil and filter changes, give your vehicle time to warm up, use the proper octane gas, and let your engine cool down before turning it off.
- Timing belt break: Your timing belt will need to be replaced at specified intervals. It is essential to follow these intervals, so you don’t have to deal with a broken timing belt, which can lead to expensive internal engine damage.
The moral of the story is, don’t forget about preventative maintenance for your vehicle. Preventative maintenance will save you time and money in the long run. The team at Carlsbad Auto Service is here to help you remember about these vital services your vehicle needs to stay happy and healthy. Schedule an appointment today for an inspection. We look forward to seeing you at our shop, located at 3181 Tyler Street, Carlsbad, CA 92008.